Player ratings: Man City continue dominant run with 2-0 win over Tottenham

15 May 2024 2098
Share Tweet

AT TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR STADIUM - Manchester City have claimed the top spot in the Premier League, heading into the season's final day after a 2-0 victory over Tottenham.

The loyalties of the Spurs supporters were divided in the stadium as an away win could potentially take the title away from their rivals Arsenal.

Despite the strong resistance from Ange Postecoglou's team, they were unable to mark the scoreboard and their chances for the Champions League have been dashed.

Tottenham's first opportunity came from Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, whose cross-field ball was taken down by Brennan Johnson. Rodrigo Bentancur attempted to strike from the edge of the box but was blocked by Ederson.

Moving to the other side, City thought they had taken the lead when Hojbjerg accidentally cleared straight into Phil Foden. However, Foden's volley was stopped by Guglielmo Vicario's stretched arm.

Following a clearance from the line of Radu Dragusin, Bernado Silva's shot was stopped and a late offside flag went against Foden.

After halftime, Spurs were caught unprepared in their own third, providing an opportunity for Kevin De Bruyne. His low drive was dismissed by Vicario.

Later, a familiar hooked cross from Johnson found Son Heung-min in the six-yard box, but the Tottenham captain was quickly overtaken by Ederson.

During their next turn, City scored their first goal in a straightforward manner, with De Bruyne's ball tapped into the box by Erling Haaland. It was their 79th Premier League shot at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium that finally marked the scoreboard.

In an attempt to equalise, Spurs nearly made it when another cutback from Johnson met Dejan Kulusevski who bypassed Ruben Dias but was blocked by the substitute Stefan Ortega, filling in for Ederson due to an injury.

With less than five minutes remaining on the clock, Tottenham missed a critical opportunity to equalise. Johnson dispossessed Manuel Akanji and Son moved the loose ball to the box, only to be denied by Ortega.

Approaching extra time, City won a penalty when Jeremy Doku was tackled by Pedro Porro. Responding to Foden's through ball, Doku ran 40 yards to be on the finish line but got fouled by Porro. Haaland scored the penalty, guaranteeing the points and potentially the title as well.

The game ended with one last save from Vicario against Doku, ten extra minutes, and City retaining their top league spot heading into the 38th matchday.